What may and may not be compared with circumcision
Things you may - and someone does -
compare with male genital cutting
- Leah on Babycenter.com, November 15, 2011
- Hair- and
- IfThen in the Guardian December 6, 2011
- tooth-straightening and
- Rabbi Shmuly Yanklowitz
in the Jewish Week, February 6, 2012
- tonsillectomies and
- SubZeroIQ on FITSnews.com, June 20, 2012
- Feeding your kids spinach,
- making them come in at night, or
- get up for school
- DanMK on Zionica, July 2012
- Tipsy Teetotaler on Intallectualoid, September 18, 2012
- Removal of wisdom teeth and
- stopping your child from crossing
the road alone,
- eating poison or
- putting their hand on a
- Anonymous writer in The Word (Indianaopolis) p 21,
- Barbara Amiel in MacLeans.ca, October 2, 2012
- how u dress ur child
- Valerie Brink on Facebook, October 2, 2012
- Winston Blake on Macleans.ca, October 3, 2012
- Removal of pyrogenic granuloma (benign red skin
growth) from the forehead (Granulomas often grow and shrink over time,
stretching the skin in a way that surgery can not correct.)
- Leah Cypess in the Atlantic, October 3, 2012
- to let teeth
grow in the mouth of a child, and more cruel still
- to allow all of them to break [come
- Sadaf Sarfaraz on MSN Arabia, October 11, 2012
plan a trip to a region that is disease rampant, and take their child
- HapkidoNinja on The Jewish Post, October 15, 2012
- Feeding him a high-fibre diet
- Mikey Bowler on the Greater New Orleans Times Picayune,
October 18, 2012
- The use of tobacco (for the standard of proof
of harm required)
- atpontchrtrn on the Greater New Orleans Times Picayune,
October 18, 2012
on a coat in the winter,
- taking medicines if they become ill,
- eating meat their parents cook, or
- for vegetarian parents - not eating
- Linus Scot on NPR, October 18, 2012
Umbilical cord cutting
- Tweeted by Hartwick
College pre-med (!) Omar Russo, October 25, 2012
examinations during labour
- cesarean delivery...
even at the cost of their child's life.
- Sue Ieraci on The Conversation, November 7, 2012
forc[ing] them to go to school,
- go to the dentist,
- brush their teeth and
- take a shower.
jonjlm on IMDb, November 19, 2012
- cleft palate repair
lamk on Huffington Post, December 20, 2012
- Ok yall talk about your childs rights like you
cant choose whats best for them? So do they choose if they ...
brush their hair
- go to school ...
Ok what about
- medicine ...
- going places they could
get in an accident ...
Comment to Mary Lanser on
Facebook, January 21, 2013
- poisoning your children with grape juice...
any type of fruit juice.
Marcapen on single dad laughing, February 12,
you buy you kid cheerios instead of frosted flakes
Thomas Lafferty on Facebook, February 27, 2013
- The sequester is something like a circumcision.
Wm on Yahoo News, March 8, 2013
like a fabric must be stitched and cut before it become a shirt.
Message to Indonesian
Intactivist on Facebook, March 10, 2013
a car accident which is much more likely [than a circumcision death],
but I'm not going Amish anytime soon.
Brian Callaghan on Facebook, March 25, 2013
Just like if I bought my son a car it's still MY car until he's 18.
- Caity Bro String on Facebook, April 4, 2012
going to grandmas for Christmas...
Mike Baird on Metronews, Ottawa, April 10, 2013
- "If you have a problem with what we did, sorry,
we named you too..."
William Struemke on YouTube, April 13, 2013
being forced to eat his string beans...
- being forced to
go to early morning swim team practice...
Aric Bernard in The Jewish Daily Forward, May 7,
- "So if a 13 year old goes to their parents
& says I want to have a baby, it's my body, my right, should
that parent allow it & let their child make that decision
because it is THEIR BODY & RIGHT?"
Laura Dionne Gensoli on Facebook, May 11, 2013
- "So is it not the mother's choice on how she
raises her child?
- Or how she feeds him?
- Feeds herself?"
Brie Crooks on Facebook, June 1, 2013
getting their health checks... "
- Maxine Prime on Facebook, June 3, 2013
- ...do yall shave your arm pitts or is that
- So if my son wants to drink alcohol at the age
of 10 I should let him because its his choice?
Deleon on Facebook, June 6,2013
- I should just let her do whatever she wants
- and get in trouble
- and run in the street
- and play where dangerous traffic is, because
she is her own being and can make her own decisions right?
Brettnie Nox quoted on Facebook, June 9, 2013
- Ok [s]o [i]f my baby needs hea[r]t surgery I
should wait for him to choose[?] [W]e make choices for our children
everyday based on what we as parents feel is best f[or] them and yes
like it or not that's my right[. T]h[i]s is the USA
Ouellette-Martin on Facebook, June 10, 2013
- Children don't have rights in the traditional
sense adults do. They don't have the right to bear arms,
- they don't have the right to vote,
- don't have the right to smoke a cigarette,
- don't have the right to consume alcohol,
- and they don't have the right to work.
UnknownArchive on Reddit, June 11, 2013
- For all of you complaining about foreskin
removal being bad for the body because it is altering the natural human
form, you had also better be just as aggressives about liposuction,
- breast implants,
- botox, and
- subdermal implants of ANYKIND.
Christopher Seitler Facebookon
June 12. 2013
- Why do women shave their legs? It's not
medically necessary, it's vanity.
Samantha Pry Soccio on Facebook, June 16, 2013
- So if a child needs a organ removed are you
going to wait until the child becomes an adult to see if they want it
Shan-Bosslady Hardesty on
Facebook, July 26, 2013
- I wonder if they'd let their children roam
around New York City alone just because they're not fitting into the
chance that "something may happen" I mean jesus with their thought
process you could let your kids roam free with no adult supervision
because of the belief that something bad may happen isn't a good enough
- Or hey they can let their kids hang around
pedophiles because just because the pedophile abused one child doesnt
mean that its going to happen to their kid right!? Right?
Jackilyn Bell on Facebook, July 26, 2013
- You guys are probably against cloth diapering
too right? LOL
EthansMommy Bender on Facebook, August 16, 2013
It is no different from the rite of marriage! ...
PC user on Yahoo Shine, August 28, 2013
are these the same people that wont get there dogs fixed because its
Roberta Gray on Facebook, September 2, 2013
- My wife was born with her heart outside her
body. Guess they should have left that like it was...
Chris Sanders on Facebook, October 23, 2013
- So itd be wrong for my mother to keep a child
on life support since theyre not old enough to write a will stating
- You women use tampons right? You were taught to
for hygienic reasons? Could just change your underwear and not use them
since its not as nature intended.
Jordan R Howell on Facebook, October 29, 2013
- Hairspray is also harmful. Should that be
Evony Houston on Facebook, November 26, 2013
- A sharpened #pencil writes better than ablunt
Jackie Daisy Kayizzi on Facebook, December 9, 2013
- If your child decided they no longer wanted to
wear clothing- would you let them run around naked all day. Would you
feel you were violating their personal rights by forcing them to put
Jill Berkman on Facebook, December 21, 2013
has been shown to increase the chances of cardiac problems. Perhaps the
ASA should throw any parent who feeds their child this killer food in
jail for a year. ...
mivogo in the Washington Post, December 26, 2013
- If any of the anticircumcision people were
really that worried about the wellbeing of children, the first they
would do is illegalize private swiming pools (very dangerous for
BerelDovLerner in the Washington Post,
December 30, 2013
- And let's not grind wheat into flour since
that's the way it naturally grows... (just echoing the famous
discussion between Rabbi Akiva and the Turnus Rufus quoted in Midrash
Tanchuma (Tazria 5))
Herb on Life in Israel, December 31, 2013
- What is wrong with being circumcised? Do you
think its also bad to require your kid to run?
- Or to read a book he doesn't want to? Your
breaking from ideals for no sound reason. It's a sign of an unhappy
person, perhaps one not ready to bask a child in love.
Associated Press in Philly.com, January 14, 2014
- By the logic being demonstrated here, a child
with a benign tumor would be required to live with it until such a time
that the child could make their own decision instead of letting the
- or co-joined twins who could lead otherwise
normal lives would have to stay co-joined until both decided to split.
The parents wouldn't be allowed to make those decisions since making
them would be a clear violation of that child's human rights.
Keith Marshak on the Copenhagen Post, January 24,
- Let's say a kid is born with a sixth finger,
perfectly functional, no medical risk--would it violate some ephemeral
right to "bodily integrity" to remove it at birth, or does he have to
suffer stares and teasing because of this "right?"
David Bernstein on the Copenhagen Post, January 24,
- If I ever catch up to the doctor who picked me
up by my ankles and spanked me immediately after I was born, there's no
telling what I might do to him. I'm still traumatized by the memory...
"Jack" in the Washington Times, January 29,
- Presumably you would leave a baby to wipe its
own backside, on the grounds that no adult should be telling that child
what do with it.
James Heartfield on Spiked, February 8, 2014
- Forcing a baby to eat is a violation we should
ask the baby if they wanna eat first
SVTcoolguy on Youtube, April 17, 2014
do you put shoes on your kids? Shoes permanently deform feet by
constraining them into tight spaces. This affects them throughout their
entire life. There are multiple studies, google it. Maybe you shouldn't
let them wear shoes until they are old enough to understand.
David Rose on Facebook,
taking them to a park or not taking them to a park,
- doing homework with them or not doing homework
with them ...
Olterigo on the Jewish Daily Forward, May 13,
- ... So if a
child wants to do cocaine and
- eat at McDonalds everyday, the parents
shouldn't do anything either? ...
Tyler Palmer on College Humor, May 14, 2014
choosing not to introduce santa clause ...
ashely on The Stir, June 4, 2014
weather they want to leave the hospital after birth. ...
Mike, an admin of Proud Parents Uncensored on
Facebook, July 7, 2014
- [After an article on Brit Shalom] Maybe the IRS
would be OK with my symbolically paying my taxes?
Michael Kolb on Kveller.com, July 10, 2014
- ... So
if your child wants to hurt someone you would not impose your beliefs
on him right? ...
Lymor Saada on Kveller.com, July 10, 2014
- Do I need your permission when I choose a
school for my children
- or if I want to force them to eat liver?
Scott Pritikin on The Tablet, July 10, 2014
- Can I sue my parents for making me eat that
stinky baby food out of those jars?? I didn't give my consent so.... I
should be able to sue right?
- They made me share a room with my sister for
the first 12 years of my life... can I sue for that? It wasn't much fun
sharing my things with her! It was against my consent!!
- Once they took me to a hospital to get stitches
when I split my forehead open.. I really didn't want those stitches at
the age of 7 I was terrified of doctors but they MADE me go! Can I
sue?!?! ~ Julz
Julz on Parents With Opinions on Facebook,
August 6, 2014
- Next we will be suing our parents because our
parents gave us amoxicillin when turns out we are allergic to
penicillin and had a bad reaction.
Clara A. Skinner on Parents With Opinions on Facebook,
August 6, 2014
some choose to have their children in a church as its their religion.
They Call Me Mom on SAHM's Uncensored on Facebook,
August 7, 2014
- "Do you smoke? If not, why not? There is always
the possibility that nothing will happen to you. ?"
David Frigault on YouTube, June 2014
- "Well then by that logic, why do we have to
pick kids up from school?"
David Frigault on YouTube, September 3, 2014
removing birthmarks? ...
- Also, what about the parents that force their
kids to go to all kinds of different therapies that they don't like
going to. It's ridiculous, yes?
Julie Moon in the Lansing City Pulse, September
- Have you ever seen a baby being born? That
could be considered abuse as well.
The Brutally Honest Mom
on Facebook, September 25, 2014
Lets stop ... lapbanding [gastric
constriction surgery] and
Luke Spook Hogarth on Facebook, October 17. 2014
- I'm glad I didn't keep my helmet, look it's
dangerous going into battle with no head gear. But I just call my cock
a Special Ops Cock, at all times his [sic] out In
the open leaving [sic] the dream.
- Having a foreskin is similar to the Burqua [sic]
Timothy Quirk on Facebook, November 5, 2014
If your teenager what's to go have sex with every guy or girl are you
gonna let them?? Hell no! ...
- Or if they want to go do drugs and get wasted
and party all the time are you gonna let them??? I mean it's their
body, their choice right. ...
to let you kid decide if they want to be fat and unhealthy or not
because it's their choice.
Rita Schultz Berger on Facebook, November 17, 2014
It's not like they are lobotomizing children. ...
Derek Connelly on Facebook, November 24, 2014
- So if a kid was born with an extra arm from his
BAck and would cause sever discomfort he should keep it cost he was
born with it
Matt Spicer on Facebook, November 28, 2014
- @morbathrmsnw - Are you going to decide that my
child can't ...
play video games?
riwr51 in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune,
December 5, 2014
- @ml66uk - It would also be a human rights
violation to forcibly ...
have their teeth cleaned.
riwr51 in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune,
December 5, 2014
- @thurstin - Should they wait until you are 18
to decide ...
whether or not you should watch R movies or
- eat candy, ...
riwr51 in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune,
December 5, 2014
- Choosing your child's summer camp is way, way
more of a risk, yet no one is discussing that.
caldepen in Ars Techinica,
February 25, 2015
This is kinda stupid, trying to take away someone's choice to
circumsize? I agree it's unnatural and unnecessary but to attempt to
ban it? That's about as ignorant as trying to keep gay marriage
illegal. If you don't agree with gay marriage don't marry someone of
the same sex. If you don't agree with circumsision don't circumsize
Brianna Indigo in Cosmopolitan,
March 26, 2015
- Ok so here is a question for
you. Your husband has a penis. It's his penis right? So with that said
sense it's his and his only can he take that penis and go have sex with
whoever he wants? No matter that he is married to you and supposed to
only slept with you. I mean it's his penis and he can do what he wants
Reannon Varney on Facebook,
May 27, 2015
- ...if a child is tongue tied
(do your research ) should the parent ask the
sometimes very young child whether or not they want the surgery? And
then oh well if the child says no.
Rosalie Goodwin on Facebook
, June 24, 2015
- ... If a parent chooses
to take their child yup a catho5 church, Baptist, hebrew, etc.it is
that parents choice.
- If a parent gets their child vaccinated to prevent
illness, it is their choice. If a parent teaches their child to swim,
homeschools, breast milk or formula,
- hospital birth vs home birth,
private school, surgically fixes a birth defect, opts for surgery for
any reason-it is the parents CHOICE because as parents it's our CHOICE
for what as individual patents we think is best.
Things you must never, NEVER compare with
male genital cutting
- Female genital cutting
An analogy would be no use if the things it
compared were alike in every way. It is of use when it compares similar
attributes of things. These things are either not permanent, or not
done without consent, or not done to (born) infants, or choices between
near-equivalents, or vital to life - unlike male genital cutting.
It is as a human rights violation that female
genital cutting is comparable to male genital cutting. It is not
severity that makes genital cutting a human rights violation, but that
it is unnecessary, invasive, permanent, reductive and done without