What may and may not be compared with circumcision
Things you may - and someone does - compare with male genital cutting
- Leah on Babycenter.com, November 15, 2011
- Hair- and
- IfThen in the Guardian December 6, 2011
- tooth-straightening and
- Rabbi Shmuly Yanklowitz in the Jewish Week, February 6, 2012
- tonsillectomies and
- SubZeroIQ on FITSnews.com, June 20, 2012
- Feeding your kids spinach,
- making them come in at night, or
- get up for school
- DanMK on Zionica, July 2012
- Tipsy Teetotaler on Intallectualoid, September 18, 2012
- Removal of wisdom teeth and
- stopping your child from crossing the road alone,
- eating poison or
- putting their hand on a lit stove
- Anonymous writer in The Word (Indianaopolis) p 21, October, 2012
- Barbara Amiel in MacLeans.ca, October 2, 2012
- how u dress ur child
- Valerie Brink on Facebook, October 2, 2012
- Winston Blake on Macleans.ca, October 3, 2012
- Removal of pyrogenic granuloma (benign red skin growth) from the forehead (Granulomas often grow and shrink over time, stretching the skin in a way that surgery can not correct.)
- Leah Cypess in the Atlantic, October 3, 2012
- to let teeth grow in the mouth of a child, and more cruel still
- to allow all of them to break [come out]
- Sadaf Sarfaraz on MSN Arabia, October 11, 2012
- to plan a trip to a region that is disease rampant, and take their child
- HapkidoNinja on The Jewish Post, October 15, 2012
- Feeding him a high-fibre diet
- Mikey Bowler on the Greater New Orleans Times Picayune, October 18, 2012
- The use of tobacco (for the standard of proof of harm required)
- atpontchrtrn on the Greater New Orleans Times Picayune, October 18, 2012
- Putting on a coat in the winter,
- taking medicines if they become ill,
- eating meat their parents cook, or
- for vegetarian parents - not eating meat
- Linus Scot on NPR, October 18, 2012
- Umbilical cord cutting
- Tweeted by Hartwick College pre-med (!) Omar Russo, October 25, 2012
- Internal examinations during labour
- cesarean delivery... even at the cost of their child's life.
- Sue Ieraci on The Conversation, November 7, 2012
- ... forc[ing] them to go to school,
- go to the dentist,
- brush their teeth and
- take a shower.
jonjlm on IMDb, November 19, 2012
- cleft palate repair
lamk on Huffington Post, December 20, 2012
- Ok yall talk about your childs rights like you cant choose whats best for them? So do they choose if they ... brush their hair
- go to school ... Ok what about
- medicine ...
- going places they could get in an accident ...
Comment to Mary Lanser on Facebook, January 21, 2013
- poisoning your children with grape juice...
- apple juice...
- any type of fruit juice.
Marcapen on single dad laughing, February 12, 2013
- ... you buy you kid cheerios instead of frosted flakes
Thomas Lafferty on Facebook, February 27, 2013
- The sequester is something like a circumcision.
Wm on Yahoo News, March 8, 2013
- ... like a fabric must be stitched and cut before it become a shirt.
Message to Indonesian Intactivist on Facebook, March 10, 2013
- ... a car accident which is much more likely [than a circumcision death], but I'm not going Amish anytime soon.
Brian Callaghan on Facebook, March 25, 2013
- ... Just like if I bought my son a car it's still MY car until he's 18.
- Caity Bro String on Facebook, April 4, 2012
- ... going to grandmas for Christmas...
Mike Baird on Metronews, Ottawa, April 10, 2013
- "If you have a problem with what we did, sorry, we named you too..."
William Struemke on YouTube, April 13, 2013
- ... being forced to eat his string beans...
- being forced to go to early morning swim team practice...
Aric Bernard in The Jewish Daily Forward, May 7, 2013
- "So if a 13 year old goes to their parents & says I want to have a baby, it's my body, my right, should that parent allow it & let their child make that decision because it is THEIR BODY & RIGHT?"
Laura Dionne Gensoli on Facebook, May 11, 2013
- "So is it not the mother's choice on how she raises her child?
- Or how she feeds him?
- Feeds herself?"
Brie Crooks on Facebook, June 1, 2013
- "... getting their health checks... "
- Maxine Prime on Facebook, June 3, 2013
- ...do yall shave your arm pitts or is that forbidden too?
- So if my son wants to drink alcohol at the age of 10 I should let him because its his choice?
Alexandria Marcelina Deleon on Facebook, June 6,2013
- I should just let her do whatever she wants
- and get in trouble
- and run in the street
- and play where dangerous traffic is, because she is her own being and can make her own decisions right?
Brettnie Nox quoted on Facebook, June 9, 2013
- Ok [s]o [i]f my baby needs hea[r]t surgery I should wait for him to choose[?] [W]e make choices for our children everyday based on what we as parents feel is best f[or] them and yes like it or not that's my right[. T]h[i]s is the USA
Connie Marie Ouellette-Martin on Facebook, June 10, 2013
- Children don't have rights in the traditional sense adults do. They don't have the right to bear arms,
- they don't have the right to vote,
- don't have the right to smoke a cigarette,
- don't have the right to consume alcohol,
- and they don't have the right to work.
UnknownArchive on Reddit, June 11, 2013
- For all of you complaining about foreskin removal being bad for the body because it is altering the natural human form, you had also better be just as aggressives about liposuction,
- breast implants,
- botox, and
- subdermal implants of ANYKIND.
Christopher Seitler Facebookon https://www.facebook.com/TheMommyArena/posts/367433730023572, June 12. 2013
- Why do women shave their legs? It's not medically necessary, it's vanity.
Samantha Pry Soccio on Facebook, June 16, 2013
- So if a child needs a organ removed are you going to wait until the child becomes an adult to see if they want it removed? ...
Shan-Bosslady Hardesty on Facebook, July 26, 2013
- I wonder if they'd let their children roam around New York City alone just because they're not fitting into the chance that "something may happen" I mean jesus with their thought process you could let your kids roam free with no adult supervision because of the belief that something bad may happen isn't a good enough reason.
- Or hey they can let their kids hang around pedophiles because just because the pedophile abused one child doesnt mean that its going to happen to their kid right!? Right?
Jackilyn Bell on Facebook, July 26, 2013
- You guys are probably against cloth diapering too right? LOL
SamanthaDanielle EthansMommy Bender on Facebook, August 16, 2013
- ... It is no different from the rite of marriage! ...
PC user on Yahoo Shine, August 28, 2013
- ... are these the same people that wont get there dogs fixed because its inhumane?
Roberta Gray on Facebook, September 2, 2013
- My wife was born with her heart outside her body. Guess they should have left that like it was... ?
Chris Sanders on Facebook, October 23, 2013
- So itd be wrong for my mother to keep a child on life support since theyre not old enough to write a will stating otherwise?
- You women use tampons right? You were taught to for hygienic reasons? Could just change your underwear and not use them since its not as nature intended.
Jordan R Howell on Facebook, October 29, 2013
- Hairspray is also harmful. Should that be illegal too?
Evony Houston on Facebook, November 26, 2013
Things you must never, NEVER compare with male genital cutting
- Female genital cutting
An analogy would be no use if the things it compared were alike in every way. It is of use when it compares similar attributes of things. These things are either not permanent, or not done without consent, or not done to (born) infants, or choices between near-equivalents, or vital to life - unlike male genital cutting.
It is as a human rights violation that female genital cutting is comparable to male genital cutting. It is not severity that makes genital cutting a human rights violation, but that it is unnecessary, invasive, permanent, reductive and done without consent.